Saturday, February 05, 2005

A "Shorter X" post.

"Shorter X" posts are pretty common on blogs. You read someone you don't like, and you want to show your scorn by a dismissive and concise summary. I've resisted them, because most readers don't really care about the identity of X. Often they couldn't care less about the underlying argument either. It also reinforces the self-referencing nature of the blogosphere: blog A says something about blog B which said about blog C... For many, it's irrelevant circle-jerking.

But you know what? I'm going to chuck one on for you. This is by one John Holbo, resident of Singapore, and co-blogger of John and Belle have a Blog. I happen to respect both John and Belle, and I think I will continue to respect them. John wrote a very long post about the Left (however you define it) in America, and the criticism they get from the Right (again, however you define it). If you've got the time and are interested in such topics, read it all; it's worth reading. If not, here's my concise summary:

Shorter John Holbo: the Right (and Glenn Reynolds in particular) display their own hypocrisy in their criticisms of the Left.

(Personally, I've always thought Glenn Reynolds - the "Instapundit" himself - was overrated. His significance appears to derive from being one of the first bloggers rather than the substance of his blogs. I kind of see him like the human appendix - important in the past, but now utterly useless.)

That's really it, for now. I'm pretty busy at the moment, but I'll try to get around to more bread-and-butter issues: the Chicken Flu, local traffic safety (I had a small accident yesterday) and others. Cheers.